Date:      Mon, 8 Jan 2007 16:33:29 -0800
From:      Freddie Cash <fcash@ocis.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Webmail alternatives

On Monday 08 January 2007 02:14 pm, User Ernie wrote:
> I am looking to replace our Openwebmail setup with something a bit more
> modern. Zimbra looks quite good but I have not found a port or FreeBSD
> howto for it. Not really interested in the groupware functions, just a
> nice webmail with vacation responder and some form of user friendly
> spam management.
>
> Any recommendations?

We use SquirrelMail for all our secondary school e-mail servers, and our
district e-mail server.  Works quite nicely, especially if you take the
time to go through their extensive list of plugins, configure it to use
an SQL backend for personal addressbooks and preferences, and set up a
good spam-filtering MTA in front of it.

Using Cyrus for the IMAP server with SIEVE filtering enabled, and using
the avelsieve plugin for SquirrelMail gives you a beautiful server-side
filter setup (that also includes smart vacation/out-of-office
autoresponder features).  SIEVE works so much nicer than procmail,
maildrop, and client-side filtering.  The only downside is that there is
an artificial limit of about 50 filters in the current version of
avelsieve.  But, using AND/OR in the filters allows you to do a lot with
only 50 individual filters.  :)

There's even a shared caledars plugin if you need low-end groupware
features.
--
Freddie Cash
fcash@ocis.net