Date:      28 Dec 2004 09:07:48 +0100
From:      peter@bgnett.no (Peter N. M. Hansteen)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NDIS and Dell (Broadcom) WLAN 1450 Dual Band card

Scott Bennett <bennett@cs.niu.edu> writes:

>      I got no responses to my question about existence of a driver for the
> wireless networking card mentioned in the Subject: line, so I guess I'll
> try the NDIS route.

If your kernel recognizes the device, it should show up in your dmesg.
For NDIS help, try man ndis. It really is quite helpful

>      In the Windows XP file system, I find BCMWL5.SYS in
> \WINDOWS\system32/DRIVERS, but I find bcmwl5.inf (note lower case name; not
> found as upper case) in quite a few directories in the directory trees under
> \DELL\drivers\R63259\TMSetup and \DELL\drivers\R81836.  Which, if any, of
> these is the correct file to use in creating an NDIS driver for
> FreeBSD?

Have you tried comparing the files (with diff or similar) to see if they
are simply copies of each other? In the cases I've seen, the driver
installer at least keeps copies of the .sys and the .inf file in a
directory together. After installation in a Microsoft file system that
may of course no longer be the case.