Date:      Sat, 11 Oct 1997 10:12:23 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Raul Zighelboim <mango@staff.communique.net>
Cc:        "'hackers@freefall.freebsd.org'" <hackers@freefall.freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: fxp0 lost connectivity!

>Name  Mtu   Network       Address            Ipkts          Ierrs
>Opkts           Oerrs     Coll
>fxp0  1500  <Link>      00.a0.c9.66.eb.72 925583797 533386 926780807
>2            37893832

   That's a lot of input errors - you should look into that.

>then, last night, the server went down :-(
>Actualy, It did not go down, but the ethernet interface went down.
>Loggin into the console port and doing 'ifconfig fxp0 up' fixed the
>problem.  Otherwise, everything on the system looks alright, and the
>only error found on the log files (I log everything) is a lot of:
>
>xntpd[86]: sendto(204.27.65.10): No route to host
>and similar for other running services...
>
>So: is this a known problem ?

   Yes, it's caused by a hardware bug.

>How do I fix it ?

   There is a fix in both -current and -stable that works around the hardware
bug.

>What should I look at if it happens again (hardly, as I am running
>ifconfig from crontab every */5 now),

   Other than no input coming in, there are no other symptoms.

>Could bad input packets bring the interface down ?

   Yes, the hardware bug is triggered by receiving certain types of garbage.

-DG

David Greenman