Date:      Wed, 10 Nov 1999 10:43:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Group problems

   Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 14:11:51 +0000 (GMT)
   From: Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>

   The Complete FreeBSD says shutdown with no options will put the system
   into single user mode.  So far, this hasn't worked for me.  And i've had a
   hard time getting it to boot into single user mode as well.  I tried the
   -s option during boot and it seems inconsistent.  But the shutdown with no
   arguments halts the system sometimes, and  other times it goes into single
   user.  ANy idea why?

Your description is not clear.

If you type:
 "shutdown"
you should get a usage error.

If you type:
 "shutdown now"
you should end up in single-user mode (and prompted for a shell, with
/bin/sh the default).

If you type:
 "shutdown -h now"
you should end up with the system halted (and a prompt telling you to
hit any key to reboot).

Any deviation from that constitutes a bug, and if you can come up with
a recipe for reproducing it, you should file a PR.  [Well, the one
deviation is that you can't execute the command at all unless you're
in the wheel group.]

 - Lowell