Date:      Fri, 29 Nov 2002 13:30:00 -0800
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
Cc:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrade from Adaptec 2940UW to 29160N - Problem solved!

In message <20021129202056.A59622@freebie.xs4all.nl>, you wrote:

>> >And you use a geometry of 255/63?  That's just plain wrong. 8-)
>>
>> It is?
>>
>> Who says it is?
>
>Justin, who happens to work Adaptec, and has been one of the chief
>developers of the FreeBSD SCSI subsystem

OK.  That's good enough for me.

But I wish that some of this stuff was written down someplace, for
the benefit of poor ignorant sods like me who are just trying to
make their peripherials work.

P.S.  As we speak, I am typing this on a machine whose root partition is
on my shiny new IBM 18GB SCSI drive, with geometry set to 255/63, *and*
the 29160N it is hooked up to is (I'm quite sure) set to "Support for
disks > 1GB" *disabled*.

So if this isn't supposed to work, then somebody please explain to me
why it _does_ clearly work.