Date:      Sat, 6 Jul 2002 15:08:39 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Tim Strike <tstrike@targetnet.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: source upgrade from 4.0, 4.1, 4.2 and 4.3 to 4.6-stable

--/WwmFnJnmDyWGHa4

On Fri, Jul 05, 2002 at 04:53:15PM -0400, Tim Strike wrote:
> I have several older servers in the lab (4.0-release, 4.1-stable,
> 4.2-stable, 4.3-beta) that I'm going to upgrade to 4.6-release and
> 4.6-stable.  Has anyone done a similar source upgrade and encountered
> any problems?  Any wisdom to share?  I think the 4.2/4.3 upgrades
> should be fairly straight forward, but the 4.0/4.1 upgrades may be
> more work given how comparably old those releases are.
>=20
I have worked really hard the last few months to make it possible.
I have not checked all the possible MAKE_*'s combinations (I
suspect that at least MAKE_KERBEROS5 may not work at the moment),
but standard upgrades should work fine.

When upgrading from 4.0-RELEASE, please make sure to not diverge
from the procedure of upgrading mentioned in UPDATING, i.e.,
buildworld first, then buildkernel, then installkernel, then
reboot with the new kernel, then installworld.  If you don't
do this, the installworld will fail right after the new /bin/sh
is installed (ELF branding has been changed between 4.0 and 4.1).

If 4.6-STABLE buildworld from 4.0 is broken, please feel free
to report it directly to me.  I will take care of fixing it.

Cheers,
--=20
Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA,
ru@sunbay.com		Sunbay Software AG,