Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 1996 09:45:03 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, phk@critter.tfs.com
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Subject:   Re: 2.2-ALPHA install failure

>>Or we could get Poul-Henning to DTRT with libdisk - that would
>>be a concept, and even the correct place to handle it. :-)
>
>I actually looked at this, and there are some comments in order:
>
>1. I'm still not sure we know what TRT is.  Although the MB/64hd/32sect
>sounds like the best bet to me.

No, it gratuitously breaks booting with kernels above 1GB.  If you leave
the partition table empty or put only invalid entries in it, then some
BIOSes (ncr) will DTRT and invent a geometry with <= 1024 cylinders if
possible.

>2. Even if we did, I'd need a very dedicated tester with an NCR
>controller to help me test it out on the only HW we know of that
>fails.

You mean with an NCR BIOSes and many lesser BIOSes.  The NCR BIOS
accepts anything reasonable.  It's going in the other direction that
is the problem - you can easily create configurations that work with
NCR but aren't portable.

Bruce