Date:      Fri, 6 Nov 2009 21:00:08 +0100
From:      Sven Hazejager <sven@hazejager.nl>
To:        freebsd-embedded@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem booting nanoBSD 7.2-p4 on Alix

All,

I'm having some challenging issues booting nanoBSD 7.2-p4 on CF on an
Alix serial-only system. Symptom: I'm seeing boot0sio fine, I can get
into the loader etc. boot after typing "boot" or letting it timeout, I
see "Booting [/boot/kernel/kernel]..." and I get one "/" character on
the next line but then everything stops.

The loader prompt allows me to do an "ls" and I can see the files on
the first slice just fine.

This happens both with GENERIC and with my own kernel. GENERIC and my
own kernel boot fine over PXE.

Things I already tried:

- Using both CHS and LBA geometry of the CF card as reported by Alix
tinybios in nanoBSD
- Set tinybios both to CHS and LBA mode
- Changed nanoBSD boot0config to include "-o nopacket"

Possibly I have NOT tested all combinations of above options to be
honest, but I'm not sure if the problem lies with geometry or not...?
At the very least I'm staring myself blind :-)

By the way, the nanoBSD disk image works fine (with heads=16 and
sectors=63) in VMware (in that case I do not call the cust_comconsole
function in nanoBSD)!

Cheers,

Sven