Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 1997 21:39:10 +0100
From:      Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dump for MS-DOS partitions.

According to Darren Reed:
> Some weirdness I found along the way included strange directory entries
> created by Windows NT (and I suspect 95 will do the same) which have the
> read only, hidden, system and volume flags set (i.e value of 0x0f).

W95 doesn't have that "feature". As NT 3 & 4 don't support VFAT, they have
implemented long name support by allocating "hidden" directory entries for
the long names, each of the entry can have a max of 12 characters.

To prevent DOS to show these entries (when sharing a drive), they put the 4
attributes (in a normal DOS, this is not supposed to happen).

It is one hell of a hack IMO (I was really surprised to see they have
implemented it like that...).

VFAT uses a hidden table for the long names so it doesn't have this
problem.

Terry will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong :-)
--
Ollivier ROBERT -=- FreeBSD: There are no limits -=- roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
   FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 3.0-CURRENT #41: Sun Mar 23 23:01:22 CET 1997