Date:      Sun, 18 Jan 1998 11:27:20 -0500
From:      dmaddox@scsn.net (Donald J. Maddox)
To:        gmarco@giovannelli.it
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Quake(2) : info & questions

On Sun, Jan 18, 1998 at 11:46:15AM +0100, Gianmarco Giovannelli wrote:
> Hi,
> I'd like to know something about quake and quake2:
>
> 1) Is there anyone that is succeding in hearing audio and sound with
> Quake I ?
> I am playing with the qwcl version 2.1 (linux), but I am not able to
> hear anything with the following drivers : Luigi's snd code, ossFreeBSD,
> the standard ones . I am using a awe 64 which works with other programs
> without problems.
>
> 2) Can someone send me the url where I can find the help page to run
> quake2 on FreeBSD -current ? Is there a port to do it somewhere ?

I also have an AWE64, and Quake I & II sound works with no tweaks at all on
-current for me...

Maybe the problem is with the config of your sound card...  I configure my
kernel with pnp support and the following sound options:

controller      snd0
device          sb0     at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 vector sbintr
device          sbxvi0  at isa? drq 5
device          sbmidi0 at isa? port 0x330
device          opl0    at isa? port 0x388
device          awe0    at isa? port 0x620

Then, boot -c the new kernel, and enter the following in the configuration
editor:

pnp 1 0 os enable port0 0x220 irq0 5 drq0 1 drq1 5 port1 0x330 port2 0x388
pnp 1 1 os enable port0 0x208
pnp 1 2 os enable port0 0x620 port1 0xa20 port2 0xe20

Line 1 is for sb, sbxvi, opl, and sbmidi.
Line 2 is for the gameport.
Line 3 is for the AWE synth.

Hope this helps...