Date:      Fri, 17 Dec 1999 17:40:21 +0100
From:      Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>
To:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BAS software

Hi!

On Fri, Dec 17, 1999 at 11:12:50AM -0500, Pat Lynch wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Dec 1999, Wes Peters wrote:
>

> Actually it would also be nice of people who are ports maintainers can
> learn the differences btwn each of the project's port stuff (theres only a
> couple things) and write makefiles/patches for ports so they compile on
> all three platforms, and submit them to each ports/pkg-src maintainer.

Hmmmm.... Of course this would be great! But have you considered this:
FreeBSD has it easy because we mainly have to care for the x86 platform (yes
sure we also support Alpha but there is a huge difference in the user
base...) whereas OpenBSD also supports Alpha and the Sparc. NetBSD supports
an endless variety of platforms. And the user base of those flavors is a much
more balanced mix. For example surprisingly many people are running OpenBSD on
the Sparc. And of course they all want ports available. With some ports this
is no problem, but even we have a couple of
ONLY_FOR_ARCHS ports which in practice means only for x86... and consider
that even in (Open|Net)BSD with its multiplatform focus there are some
fundamental things missing from non-x86 implementations, like virtual
consoles for the Sparc which makes this work you are proposing a huge one
with a need for many development machines and experienced programmers...
and also on OpenBSD for example ports are only guaranteed to work on
-CURRENT, which in practice is a snapshot (there is no separate -CURRENT and
-STABLE branch on OBSD) and it makes testing difficult because it is
constantly moving target... but it would be really nice indeed to have this
sort of cooperation!

Just some quick thoughts...

Regards:

Szilveszter ADAM