Date:      Tue, 4 Mar 2003 19:53:16 -0000
From:      "Jasvinder S. Bahra" <bbdl21548@blueyonder.co.uk>
To:        <security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Tripwire (Cron <root@foo> /usr/local/sbin/tripwire --check --cfgfile /etc/tripwire/tw.cfg)

Evening folks. I'm having some problems receiving my tripwire reports.

I have a gateway-firewall system, running this version of FreeBSD...

     FreeBSD foo.bar.org 4.6.2-RELEASE-p7 FreeBSD 4.6.2-RELEASE-p7 #0

(Please note that throughout this e-mail, domain details have been =
replaced with FOO.BAR.ORG - this is not the real domain info, for =
obvious reasons. I should point out that the domain is just something =
i've set locally. No services are open on the internet side of the =
machine.)  :  )

Now, tripwire runs at regular intervals using cron, and the reports are =
then e-mailed to me (/etc/rc.config has a 'sendmail_enable=3D"NO"' entry =
so that the reports can be sent).

Entry in crontab...

     0       23      *       *       *       root    =
/usr/local/sbin/tripwire --check --cfgfile /etc/tripwire/tw.cfg

I have set root's e-mail address in /etc/mail/aliases...

     root:   jazz,my_external_email_address@domain.com

...and run the command 'newaliases', after I updated the aliases file. =
Now, as far as I understand, this setup should run a tripwire security =
check at 11 in the evening, and then e-mail the report to the root =
e-mail address set in the aliases file.

After a fashion, this does work. The e-mail has a subject of 'Returned =
mail: see transcript for details', a body displayed below, and two =
attachments...
---------------------------------------------------------------8<--------=
     The original message was received at Fri, 28 Feb 2003 23:00:28 GMT
     from root@localhost
    =20
     root
         (reason: 553 5.1.8 <root@foo.bar.org>... Domain of sender =
address root@foo.bar.org does not exist)
         (expanded from: root)
    =20
     ... while talking to localhost.my.domain.:
     >>> MAIL From:<root@foo.bar.org> SIZE=3D4771
     <<< 553 5.1.8 <root@foo.bar.org>... Domain of sender address =
root@foo.bar.org does not exist
     501 5.6.0 Data format error
---------------------------------------------------------------8<--------=

The first attachment show the following...
---------------------------------------------------------------8<--------=
     Reporting-MTA: dns; sirius.differentreality.org
     Arrival-Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 23:00:28 GMT
    =20
     Final-Recipient: RFC822; root@foo.bar.org
     Action: failed
     Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 553 5.1.8 <root@foo.bar.org>... Domain of =
sender address root@foo.bar.org does not exist
     Last-Attempt-Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 23:06:55 GMT

---------------------------------------------------------------8<--------=

The second attachment is the tripwire report itself - it has a subject =
of...

     Cron <root@foo> /usr/local/sbin/tripwire --check --cfgfile =
/etc/tripwire/tw.cfg

Now, the first attachment shows that the mail server is doing a dns =
lookup when it receives the e-mail, and its because the lookup fails =
that the e-mail is received in this fashion. Does anyone know a way to =
get around this? The same thing is also happening for the 'foo.bar.org =
daily run output'. Admittedly this is somewhat minor - the reports *are* =
being received after all, but for neatness's sake, i'd like to clear it =
up. *shrugs*

Regards,

Jazz