Date:      Mon, 17 Sep 2001 20:01:11 -0700
From:      Chip <chip@wiegand.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Best X Windows Manager for Newbies

On Monday 17 September 2001 06:56, mstark1@cfl.rr.com wrote:
> I just started using FreeBSD and am currently running GNOME with
> Enlightenment as a window manager and I find it to be a bit complex coming
> from a Windoze and BeOS environment. Does anyone have any suggestions as to
> what would be a good window manager for a newbie? I have heard that KDE is
> pretty simple but I also heard that it is a resource hog. Any suggestions
> would be appreciated.
>
> Mike

My favorite is XFCE, it doesn't look like winblows, yet is quite easy to use.
If you have ever seen CDE on the Solaris system then you'll know what XFCE
looks like. Doesn't use hog the memory like those desktop managers you
mention.  When I checked top I see xfce and xfwm are both using 0.00% of cpu
resources, and I have about 9 apps or windows open right now.
You can learn more about it at www.xfce.org. It's in the ports, just install
from there, and it will run without anything else.

--
Chip W.