Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 1996 21:42:41 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Still no Java in Netscape?!

> > They need threads.
>
> Hmmm, well the version of Linux Netscape runs on (1.1.x and above, a.out)
> doesn't have kernel threads, so I assume they're using user-mode
> pthreads?

Yep.

> If so, I guess it would be a bit of work to get those running
> with BSDI, though not impossible...

Yep.

> Well, I guess the best thing is to
> show our support for a native (or at least BSDI-emulation) version with
> Java support, and in the meantime use the Linux version...

Julian is in the process of importing the pthreads stuff into -current
even now, but this work isn't BSDi.  I doubt the NetScape folks are
going to go out of their way to add a pretty basic feature to BSDi just
to get Java applets going.  This should be something BSDi's technical
staff should be doing, but apparently aren't.

Nate