Date:      Wed, 1 May 2013 16:38:10 -0500
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <alfred@ixsystems.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: potential future proofing fix for aicasm build.

--IiVenqGWf+H9Y6IX

On Wed, May 01, 2013 at 09:44:54AM -0700, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> Hey folks,
>=20
> I took a shot at fixing this issue with building aicasm as part of=20
> "buildkernel" of an older 9.0 src on a machine running HEAD.
>=20
> aicasm.o: In function `__getCurrentRuneLocale': >=20
> /usr/include/runetype.h:96: undefined reference to `_ThreadRuneLocale'
>=20
> The issue seems to be two-fold:
>=20
> 1) Paths are not fully set to pick up the bootstrap tools needed to build.
> 2) include files use the host's instead of the build trees.
>=20
> The first problem is fixed by changing setting of PATH from=20
> "${BPATH}:${PATH}" to ${TMPPATH}.
>=20
> The second is fixed by using -nostdinc and setting strict include paths=
=20
> using -I directives to the compiler:
>=20
> CFLAGS=3D"-nostdinc -I${WORLDTMP}/usr/include -I. -I${KERNSRCDIR}/dev/aic=
7xxx/aicasm"

This seems basically ok.

> Can I get review on this patch?

The line wrapping bugs should have been fixed before posting, but it
otherwise looks fine.

I do wonder why we don't just install aicasm in the base and bootstrap
it in the unlikely event that it changes in an important way.  A quick
scan of svn log suggests that gibbs fixed a bug in mid-2010 and the last
non-build system or portability change was circa 2003 so I don't think
we'd break old-style kernel builds at a rate worth worrying about.

-- Brooks

--IiVenqGWf+H9Y6IX

--IiVenqGWf+H9Y6IX--