Date:      Fri, 1 Nov 1996 09:37:52 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Gianmarco Giovannelli <gmarco@scotty.masternet.it>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: * wu-ftpd guru needed*

On Fri, 1 Nov 1996, Gianmarco Giovannelli wrote:

> 1) Where are the logs file of wu-ftpd ? I set logging for some actions of
> the user but I am not able to find where it logs :-)

In the default setup, if you have logging enabled the log entries will
land in /var/log/xferlog, with errors going to /var/log/messages and the
console.

> 2) How must I do to create an user that can do uploads in directory owned
> by root , and group(ped) by wheel ? i.e. I'd like to ftp new pages in the
> /usr/local/data/www for our web server (http://www2.masternet.it, come to
> visit... :-) but normal user can't do that obviusly, even if they are in
> group 0 too...

You should really create a new group for the web site, chown all the files
in there to that group, and put that person in it rather than giving them
root permissions (which is what you'd have to do to allow them to write to
those directories).

We do something similar with our anonymous ftp site.  The maintainers are
in the ftpadmin group and thus have full access, but everyone else can't
touch it.

> 3) My guest group is the group of every user in my server 2000-->normal
> user. Now to make them restricted in the /home I made the changes in
> etc/passwd to every user home dirs from /home/username to /home/./username
> so the user has as root for ftp the /home partitions and not the / itself.
> Ftp needs to works properly a /bin/ls , so I create an home/bin with ls
> inside. If I tried to leave every homedir (in /etc/passwd) unchanged the
> server restricts yes the user in their /home/username (/ -->
> /home/username)  but I must create a bin directory for every user (with the
> ls inside) in his /home/username. Now (finally) the question is : Is
> possible to have the second solution without the need to create for every
> user the /home/username/bin directory ?

I don't know on that one.  There may be some special trick but you have to
remember that the system forgets about everything above /home/username, so
that becomes the effective /.  Thus, they can't get to the /bin directory
for ls.  So I think you're stuck to providing everyone with their own ls.