Date:      Wed, 18 Feb 1998 19:09:36 -0500
From:      Leo Papandreou <leo@talcom.net>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: very slow scsi performance

On Wed, Feb 18, 1998 at 12:22:38AM -0700, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
> >I'm shocked to hear that Western Digital SCSI drives rate really low. All
> >my illusions (delusions?) are shattered. Who is King of the Mountain for
> >SCSI-3 drives in terms of reliability and performance? I have a Fast/Wide
> >controller and I am looking at drives.
>
> Without a doubt, IBM.

I had a Quantum Atlas come through a fire unscathed if not a little
bit sooty and crisp around the edges. It smelled pretty bad too. In
fact, except for that Quantum, everything else in the system either
fried or melted, rendered completely useless. A Seagate Barracuda
included.

Not only is the Quantum still chugging 2 years, 24x7, later, you now
have to hold it pretty damn close to your nose to smell anything at
all.

I'm so confident in its reliability I dont even bother backing it up
any longer. Just joshing, kids [ :-( ]

This is a big SCSI-I clunker but I've since installed 3 other Atlas
II's alongside old faithful without any hiccups. Granted, the newer
10,000 RPM IBMs spin faster but 7200 rpm is none too shabby.

So, if you want to buy some peace of mind based on anecdotal evidence,
buy Quantum.