Date:      Sun, 13 Oct 1996 13:37:34 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Karl Denninger  <karl@Mcs.Net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Patch which I installed for the SYN-flood related crashes

Note that we have now been running with this for almost 2 full days.

No panics.

The fix we are using is as follows:

~line 416 in tcp_input.c:

                        if (so2 == 0) {
                                tcpstat.tcps_listendrop++;
                                so2 = sodropablereq(so);
                                if (so2) {
                                    sofree(so2);        /* Free Socket */
                                    so2 = sonewconn(so, 0);
                                    if (!so2)           /* Can't happen? */
                                        goto drop;
                                } else {
                                    goto drop;
                                }
                        }

This appears to have no bad side effects (no mbufs being stuck, no memory
leaks which we can discern, etc.)

And it DOES appear to fix the problem.

We're going to grab the new committed stuff and compare it -- I
understand another fix was committed in the last few days - but the fix
above definitely appears to be effective.

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
http://www.mcs.net/~karl     | T1 from $600 monthly; speeds to DS-3 available
			     | 23 Chicagoland Prefixes, 13 ISDN, much more
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1 x219]| Email to "info@mcs.net" WWW: http://www.mcs.net/
Fax:   [+1 312 248-9865]     | Home of Chicago's only FULL Clarinet feed!