Date:      Fri, 7 Feb 1997 16:09:55 -0400
From:      dean@av8.com (Dean Anderson)
To:        Mattias Pantzare <pantzer@ludd.luth.se>, Dean Anderson <dean@oec.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FTP site

At 9:31 PM 2/7/97, Mattias Pantzare wrote:
>> Is it too much to ask to have a normal ftp site, with the source
>>distributions
>> organized by category, with the original source tar file and a patch
>>file for BSD?
>
>Normal?? It is a very normal file tree. (You ar refering to that, not the
>site)
>
>> I found the source files in distributions, but I'm not sure if they
>>contain the BSD
>> patches or not.  Not to mention the annoyance factor of having a single
>>directory with
>> 700 files.
>
>What patches? There are no patches. But there are a CVS tree that you can
>use to get updates. Take a look att www.freebsd.org, in the hanbook you
>will find there.
>
>Where did you find that single directory with 700 files? The source dirs
>ar not built that way, and you can get parts of the source tree by just
>adding .tar to the directory that you want to get.
>
>> FTP sites have followed a general format for 20 years. Please don't try
>>to "improve"
>> things by breaking them.
>
>What format? What FTP sites? I think that it is a very good file tree.

Log on to an HPUX system, or any non freebsd system. Use ftp.  Use the web
site as a guide to find the "locations" of packages.  Compare with
ftp.uu.net, or any of dozens of other large ftp sites.

Imagine that one has a VMS machine without make, but can create a tape or
uucp a file that is readable on his machine at home.  So ftpping a makefile
and running "make get-dist" is completely unacceptable.

The problem is that your site is for use only by the freebsd ports program,
and then very badly at that. And nowhere does it say that.

When you say you have msql.tar.gz, it appears that you actually have msql,
which you don't have anywhere on your ftp site.  So web searches looking
for msql list your site as having msql.tar.gz.  They are led thinking that
your site is much closer than the australia site, and spend half hour
trying to figure out where you might have squirreled away the msql
distribution, only to discover to there great frustration that you were
lying about having it in the first place.

You don't have an ftp site. Its a ports site that uses ftp as a data transport.

                --Dean

Dean Anderson            dean@aV8.com |                       dean@lpf.org
We make technology fly! See us for    | Stop Software Patents before they
Networking, Firewalls, WWW and more.  | stop you! Contact me for more info
Check out http://www.av8.com for info | or send mail to lpf@lpf.org
President                             | President
Plain Aviation,Inc                    | League for Programming Freedom