Date:      Thu, 01 Jun 2000 16:49:21 -0400
From:      Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
To:        Jan Knepper <jan@smartsoft.cc>, FreeBSD-ISP@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Burstable T1

At 03:09 PM 6/1/00 -0400, Jan Knepper wrote:
>Hi,
>
>What do you guys think about "Burstable T1" to setup an Internet Host with
>FreeBSD?
>I asked a couple of weeks ago about Frame Relay. Frame Relay however is
rather
>expensive compared to "Burstable T1". DSL is not available where I want to
have
>the host. Too far away from a CO. The only one is IDSL (DSL over ISDN), but
>since we've already ISDN-2 I don't think that would be a real solution.

Regardless of what they call it, "burstable" is totally meaningless. All it
means is that they reserve the right to give you any grade of service that
they want, so depending on how many hundreds of customers are sharing the
bandwidth., your results will vary depending on what others are doing.

On frame, for example, if you have a T1 and the provider only sells 24 T1s
on their T3, then you should get the same throughput as you would on a
dedicated T1. The danger of frame is that you normally will be sharing the
"backbone leg", that is, the aggregate line going to the provider, with a
lot more than 24 customers (typically 2-3 to one, at least).

Burstable T1 (or DSL...same difference)..the provider simply puts a lot
more customers on the line. You may see 250 "burstable T1" customers on a
single T1. So if you are the only one active, you'll get T1. But there are
no guarantees that you wont get absolutely terrible service also. Some
providers will bandwidth limit you also, which will differ depending on the
method. Our product, for example, allows you to "burst" when overall
traffic levels are below a certain threshhold. After that you will be
limited to a lower bandwidth.

Dennis

>Don't worry, be Kneppie!
>Jan
>

>--
>Jan Knepper
>Smartsoft, LLC
>88 Petersburg Road
>Petersburg, NJ 08270
>U.S.A.
>
>Phone: 609-628-4260
>FAX  : 609-628-1267
>
>http://www.smartsoft.cc/
>http://www.pianoprincess.com/
>http://www.mp3.com/pianoprincess
>http://www.riffage.com/Bands/0,2939,2859,00.html
>http://pianoprincess.iuma.com/
>http://www.changemusic.com/piano_princess

Emerging Technologies, Inc.
---------

http://www.etinc.com
ISA and PCI T1/T3/V35/HSSI Cards for FreeBSD and LINUX
Multiport T1 and HSSI/T3 UNIX-based Routers
Bandwidth Management Standalone Systems
Bandwidth Management software for LINUX and FreeBSD