Date:      Wed, 28 Jul 1999 10:13:37 -0400
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "Dan Williams" <williams@hamlet.res.cmu.edu>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Dual-homed host

On Wed, 28 Jul 1999 14:27:54 +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:

>On Tuesday, 27 July 1999 at 23:53:36 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
>>
>> Id like to put two ethernet cards in my freebsd box.  They are both NE2000
>> compat cards.  However, what is the driver name for the second card?
>
>The same as the first: ed.  The first one will be unit 0 (ed0), the
>second one will be unit 1 (ed1).
>
>> How do I set that up?
>
>It should happen automatically.
>
>> Also, I keep getting an error with my NIC.  It says something to the
>> effect of "Corrupt NIC memory, invalid packet length 45000" or
>> something like that.  This NIC was the one I installed FreeBSD over
>> a network with, so it does work...  Suggestions?
>
>Looks like a flaky board.  Does the other one do the same thing?

Verify that the two boards are using different resources, i.e., I/O
addresses and IRQs.  You should have a floppy from the NIC vendor that
allows you to check/change these settings.  Turn OFF plug n pray, and
set the resources manually.  The card will remember these settings.

Steve Friedrich

Windows 98: n.
        useless extension to a minor patch release for 32-bit extensions
and
        a graphical shell for a 16-bit patch to an 8-bit operating system
        originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor, written by a 2-bit
        company that can't stand for 1 bit of competition.