Date:      Tue, 10 Mar 1998 01:40:13 -0500
From:      "Gary T. Corcoran" <garycorc@idt.net>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        "Alok K. Dhir" <adhir@worldbank.org>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sound in -current

Luigi Rizzo wrote:

> > Sound has been broken in -current (for me, anyway) since roughly March 2.
> > I supped and rebuilt a kernel today, and the machine still completely
> > locks up, requiring a hard reboot, as soon as I try to play any sounds.
>
> not the first time i hear such a complaint, just i am not sure what the
> problem can be, since i don't follow -current.
> the only thing which comes to mind could be something related to dma
> activity ?

I never had time to write up a proper report on this, but when I was trying
to get sound going on my notebook PC, I found that when (at first) I had
the two DMA channels reversed in my config file (since I didn't know which
was which in Luigi's driver) my machine locked solid when I tried to play
a sound file.  Reversing the DMA's fixed the problem.  Did something change
in -current (which I don't follow) to change the way DMA channels are
interpreted?

BTW - when using the standard (Voxware) driver, I found that having the
DMA channels "backwards" just resulted in a diagnostic error message
about a possible conig error, but not a lockup.  Could you perhaps detect
this situation, Luigi?   When I get some more time I'll write up some
more on my notebook sound problems - but thanks, Luigi, for your efforts
so far...

Gary