Date:      Fri, 14 Feb 2003 12:31:00 +0800
From:      "Thomas E. Zander" <riggs@rrr.de>
To:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Here's Lumiere 0.4 ports..

Moyn.

Mezz bsdforums.org schrieb:
>>>========================
>>>.if !exists(/usr/local/bin/mplayer)
>>>BROKEN=		"MPlayer doesn\'t exist!"
>>>BROKEN+=	"You have to install MPlayer from /usr/ports/multimedia/mplayer
>>>first."
>>>.endif
>>>========================
>>
>>a) You should never use fully-qualified paths like that.  Instead, use
>>the ${LOCALBASE} or ${X11BASE} macros.
>

> I tried did that last night and recently, it doesn't work very well same as
> what full path does. I am not sure exactly why it doesn't work. I did
> "${LOCALBASE}/bin/mplayer", it will keep say it's broke when I already have
> mplayer installed. Do I need to put something speical inside the exists()?

Actually ${LOCALBASE}/bin/mplayer should do it within the exists brackets.
What does your ports system think localbase is for you?
(cd your-port-dir && make -V LOCALBASE)

>>b) Why don't you add a RUN_DEPENDS on mplayer instead of doing the
>>BROKEN thing at all?
>

> Because, MPlayer has a lot of options to install it. So, I thought it would
> be good idea to force users to go to the ports and install by theirselves
> with extra options. Am I making any sense?

I think I can understand what you're trying to do here.
You want the people to install mplayer with their favourite options
befor building lumiere?!
One thing is fully clear: You should use RUN_DEPENDS whether you want to
or not, because this program is only a frontend and completely useless
without the corresponding backend application.

If you want the user to install mplayer before your port you could use a

pre-everything::

target and throw a message that explains the situation to the user.
A dialog would be a solution, too, although I'd personally prefer to get
around without them.

Riggs

--
My boss forces me to use this OS.