Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2000 13:08:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Michael Allman <msa@dinosauricon.com>
To:        Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
Cc:        BSD <bsd@shell-server.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Constant panics on 4.1-STABLE!

On Thu, 21 Sep 2000, Chris Dillon wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Sep 2000, Michael Allman wrote:
>
> > I am having problems with random panics/reboots as well.  I am using two
> > sticks of Corsair 128MB ECC memory.  My motherboard uses the GX chipset.
> > Crashes occur when I am using both sticks and one or the other stick.
> > Considering that I have been using this memory reliably for about a year I
> > find it hard to believe that both sticks would go bad simultaneously.  I
> > have been using CAS3, ECC settings in my bios.
>
> It probably isn't the memory, then (Corsair is pretty good).
>
> > > BTW, crash dumps will be meaningless if this really is a hardware
> > > problem.
> >
> > Equivalent to this statement is the following.  If the crash dumps are not
> > meaningless (meaningful?), then this is not a hardware problem.  I would
> > say it is still worthwhile to look at crash dumps.
>
> Wrong.  You have no way of knowing just by looking at a crashdump if
> the problem was caused by random memory corruption, CPU flakyness, or
> whatever, or if it was a real software problem.  Crashdumps are only
> useful if you _know_ flaky hardware wasn't the culprit.  If you hand a
> developer a crashdump caused by hardware flakyness, you are going to
> send them on a wild goose-chase and they will never find a real
> problem with the code where the failure supposedly occurred.  If
> they're really lucky, they'll look at a crashdump and say "It is not
> at all possible for this to have happened because of software.  It
> must have been caused by hardware".  I wouldn't put that burden on any
> of these developers, however.  This has already happened at least a
> few times, and usually the developer wastes days or weeks looking for
> a non-existent problem until the original finder of the problem comes
> back and says "Duh, I'm REALLY sorry guys, but I found the culprit, it
> was my hardware".  You can find at least a few of these archived in
> our mailing lists.

Let's wait and see what the other guy who's having these problems comes up
with (Bart, I think).  Also, I think I know why I'm not getting crash
dumps sometimes.  When it starts to take a dump, if you press a key on the
keyboard it aborts, yes?  Since I use my computer for application work
perhaps my typing at the keyboard is aborting the dump before it finishes.

> > I have ECC RAM with ECC enabled.  I get crashes anyway.  Would you say
> > then that it's not the RAM?
>
> Then it most likely isn't the RAM.  That does not, however, rule out
> the CPU, support chipsets, or even a weird expansion card that is
> spewing enough RF noise to cause data corruption on nearby devices.

I have tried using another CPU to no avail.  This other CPU is currently
in use in another system without problems.  I have swapped out every one
of my expansion cards, and then some.  One thing that comes to mind is
that I haven't tried a different ethernet card (my ethernet is on the
motherboard).  I will try that.  I am also not excluding the possibility
of a bad chipset.  I may try using a different motherboard.  It's really
just a matter of finding the time to do these things.

Michael