Date:      Fri, 30 Jan 1998 12:27:01 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Jamie Howard <howardjp@dragon.ham.muohio.edu>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, dmaddox@scsn.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The BSD License

On Thu, Jan 29, 1998 at 09:00:13PM -0500, Jamie Howard wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Jan 1998, Mike Smith wrote:
>
>>  - If source code is not available and freely redistributable, it is
>>    impossible for it to be included in the FreeBSD codebase.  (This is
>>    really a no-brainer).
>
> Hello, I've been lurking around this mailing list for a spell now and
> recently considered this question myself.  I am confused by the above
> statement.  Was Sun Microsystems legally bound to (a) make the source to
> SunOS available and (b) make the source code available for free?  What
> about others like DEC and Ultrix or OSF/1 or NeXT and NeXTStep?

You're confusing two things.  As I stated earlier, the Berkeley
license does *not* oblige you to disclose your source code, nor even
the embedded BSD code in your sources.  The Berkeley license applies
to the embedded code, not to your code in its entirety.

On the other hand, Mike and Jorday say that if you want to distribute
the software in the FreeBSD code base, you must place your code under
the Berkeley license.

This isn't quite true, of course, as I pointed out earlier: the source
tree includes packages with other licenses, notably GPL.  They're
neatly segregated in directories where they can't infect BSD code :-)

Greg