Date:      Thu, 29 Nov 2012 19:53:07 +0100
From:      Fleuriot Damien <ml@my.gd>
To:        dweimer@dweimer.net
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: CARP within VirtualBox Does it work?

On Nov 29, 2012, at 6:43 PM, dweimer <dweimer@dweimer.net> wrote:

> I was trying to setup a test of CARP on two virtual machines running =
in VirtualBox 4.2.4r81684 I am not sure if I have something wrong with =
my CARP configuration or if VirtualBox just doesn't work right with it.  =
I can only ping the CARP interface IP address from the machine listed as =
MASTER, if I do an ifconfig carp0 down on the MASTER the other machine =
correctly switches form BACKUP to MASTER and then I can ping the =
interface from it but not from the Original system.
>=20
> The VirtualBox systems are both using bridged networking, and the host =
cannot ping the carp0 IP address but can ping the interface IP address.
>=20
> Before I go through more trouble shooting, does anyone know if CARP =
doesn't work with VirtualBox?
>=20
> carp configuration
> Machine1:
> ifconfig_em0=3D"UP"
> ifconfig_em0_name=3D"LAN"
> ipv4_addrs_LAN=3D"10.20.190.201/16"
> defaultrouter=3D"10.20.111.2"
> cloned_interfaces=3D"carp0"
> ifconfig_carp0=3D"vhid 1 advskew 100 pass ReduntantCarpTest =
10.20.190.203/16
>=20
> ifconfig carp0:
> carp0 flags=3D49<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING> metric 0 mtu 1500
> inet 10.20.190.203 netmask 0xffff0000
> nd6 options=3D29<PREFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
> carp: MASTER vhid 1 advbase 1 advskew 100
>=20
>=20
> Machine2:
> ifconfig_em0=3D"UP"
> ifconfig_em0_name=3D"LAN"
> ipv4_addrs_LAN=3D"10.20.190.202/16"
> defaultrouter=3D"10.20.111.2"
> cloned_interfaces=3D"carp0"
> ifconfig_carp0=3D"vhid 1 pass ReduntantCarpTest 10.20.190.203/16
>=20
> ifconfig carp0:
> carp0 flags=3D49<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING> metric 0 mtu 1500
> inet 10.20.190.203 netmask 0xffff0000
> nd6 options=3D29<PREFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
> carp: BACKUP vhid 1 advbase 1 advskew 0
>=20
> FreeBSD version is 9.1RC3 on both test machines.

We're using FreeBSD and CARP in virtualized environments at work, albeit =
not on VirtualBox but on Proxmox/KVM.

First, I would advise replacing 10.20.190.203/16 with 10.20.190.203/32

I notice your carp0 is MASTER on machine1 with an advskew of 100 vs =
machine 2 advskew 0, same advbase.
Confirm this is *after* you've set carp0 down on machine2.

If both carps are up and machine1 with advskew 100 beats machine2 with =
advskew 0, you have an additional problem.

See if you have any more luck with the /32 address on carp0 anyway.