Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 1997 14:42:25 -0700
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
To:        dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
Cc:        Alex Belits <abelits@phobos.illtel.denver.co.us>, isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and NT

>>> and expertise,
>>> most of us working on this project do not know much about Unix (only basic
>>> knowledge) but in turn know NT in and out.

>>  If you are going to use NT for a large web server, I suggest you to
>>choose other kind of business immediately.

Right now, the free Unix systems (FreeBSD, NetBSD, etc.) are probably
the best platforms for a small ISP, for many reasons.  However,
Microsoft is starting to take this market seriously, so expect to see
lots of software addressing this market in the next year or two.

>I'm just using NT for web browsing and mail and I need to reboot
>it every other day or so (just gets real slow)...It MIGHT be easier to
>set up (I dont think it is....), but if something stops working  you have
>to reinstall to get everything to work right again...its certainly much more
>difficult to fine tune.

I would guess that you have software doing something stupid, or you
have something badly configured.  Any OS can slow to a crawl if there
are user processes leaking memory, or just written badly that suck up
a lot of CPU, which are long-running (or just plain run-away) on your
system.

NT by itself (and NT with tons of development tools and such open)
runs for weeks at a time without reboots, for me, and thousands of
others.  Modern NT servers (as opposed to "workstations", which you
described) are every bit as stable as Unix servers, with months of
uptime.  FYI...

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net