Date:      Tue, 6 Aug 2002 10:30:49 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Stephen Hoover <shooverfbn@442spot.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Questions about vinum and failure of root partition

On Monday,  5 August 2002 at 15:40:49 -0500, Stephen Hoover wrote:
> I've been playing around with Vinum the last couple of days and I have a
> question concerning failure of the root partition.
>
> I understand the value that Vinum can bring for RAID0 (striping) to increase
> volume size and performance. However, I don't really see any value in the
> mirroring capabilities if Vinum cannot mirror the root partition.

Well, there are other file systems.

> Could some give me a brief rundown of how to recover the data from a
> mirrored drive (partition) if the primary drive fails and the
> FreeBSD config is lost?

It's automatic.

> Perhaps point me to some reading I should absorb. (Little more
> specific than man vinum please :)

How specific do you want it?  You should read both the man pages.

> I have read the Bootstrapping Vinum article - and I appreciate what
> it accomplishes, but I want to address this issue from a pure Vinum
> setup - no fancy perl boot scripts.

You don't need to do anything.  The configuration is stored on the
drives themselves.  When Vinum starts, it checks what it has left and
what it can do with it.  If you lose one half of your mirror, then it
will continue with the other.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.