Date:      Wed, 31 Aug 2005 12:19:09 +0100 (BST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        dandee@volny.cz
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Application layer firewall on FreeBSD, is it possible ?

--0-1143843103-1125487149=:39418

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005, [iso-8859-2] Daniel Dvo?=E1k wrote:

> So, is there any way to do same application layer osi model firewall=20
> with FreeBSD gateway ?
>
> Of course, I tried to find on web, I have not been successful in=20
> searching so far.
>
> If my question is not right in this mailing list, if my question is=20
> annoying here, so I am sorry.

I can't speak to the details of the environment or protocols, but you=20
might take a look at "ipfw fwd", which allows you to locally intercept=20
wide area network TCP connections passing through an IP router.  This can=
=20
be used for things like transparent proxy caching, transparent firewalls,=
=20
and so on.  ipfw(8) contains some details, but I've not played with it=20
myself so I can't tell you much more than that it looks like applications=
=20
can simply bind a TCP port, and then you can use ipfw fwd to redirect=20
connections to it.  I'm not sure how well ICMP is handled.

Robert N M Watson
--0-1143843103-1125487149=:39418--