Date:      Wed, 8 Apr 2009 08:57:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Amaru Netapshaak <postfix_amaru@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ZFS Question

Hello,

I am interested in using something like ZFS for its distributed nature. I r=
un a file server
with samba acting as a PDC. I also run a second server as a BDC.=A0 What I =
would
like is a method for keeping both servers "shared data" drives in sync when=
 both the
PDC and BDC are running.=20

I am currently doing an incremental update twice daily to the BDC using rsy=
nc over
SSH.=A0 It works, but its just not good enough.. if the PDC goes down, anyt=
hing created
or altered after midnight or so, isnt propagated to the BDC.=20

I understand I can use ZFS to accomplish this easily.. but from what I've r=
ead, you still
need to manually push updates to the backup server over ssh via cron.=A0 So=
 I would still
have windows of time where the file systems would not be in sync..=A0 am I =
heading in the
wrong direction here? I am beginning to think I am..=20

I've been afraid of NFS for some time.. remembering back to the days when i=
t was just
not safe to use NFS.=A0 I may have carried that fear on irrationally.. is N=
FS a viable=20
solution to my problem these days?=A0=20

Thanks for the advice!

+-+ AMARU
=0A=0A=0A