Date:      Sat, 05 Jun 1999 12:20:47 -0700
From:      Ev Batey <efb@cotdazr.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   When and How to CVSup Date from 2.2.8

Dear freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG,

Alas after much too long .. I migrated my server from
2.0.5 to 2.2.8  ..  from CDs.

A bud tells me he did the same when he could not get a
current 3.X-stable CD.

I also believe I heard it was possible to both upgrade the
entire CD install, the native binaries, and also, to update all
the add-in software that doesn_t come on the CDs in current
versions AND compile and run all this as a nearly single
"PAINLESS" task.

Q1-  To gradually (over a few weeks, if possible) get to a
current "3.x / 4.x whatever is stable", what do I want to feed
cvsup_recipe_file to my newly installed cvsup-4.15 AND
WHERE do I feed in this config file ?

Q2- Do I need to take special steps to preserve the current 2.2.8
sources and ensure my continuing use of my DNS, Apache web
server and Qmail that I rely upon thru some gradual upgrade cycle ?
Is this is possible?

Q3- Quessing there are two ways to build my own CVS archive
RCS versions lists, paraphrasing, or some-current source files
only, what are the tradeoffs between the two ?  I_m just a user and
Web and DNS server here and NOT a C source developer.

Q4- What kind of relative disk use should I expect ?  I just went
from 1-GB up to 4-GB.  It was easy to get half full in minutes, so,
am I going to be pushing the wall again with some semi conservative
upgrading of FreeBSD, Apache, BIND and  a few other apps. ?

Q5- Do I want to upgrade a version at a time ?  Is it reasonable to
expect to upgrade from 2.2.8 to 3-Stable or 4-Stable without a big
risk of losing it all .. ?

Q6- Can I hope to protect things like qmail which I replaced sendmail
and not have to reinstall from scratch .. again .. that was a lot of
hours.

Thank you for some adult supervision here.  New ground.

/Everett/

--
 + efb@ieee.org  Web: http://www.vhwy.com/efb - Phone: 24Hrs 888
522-VHWY +