Date:      Tue, 22 May 2001 02:48:13 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Tim Erlin <tperlin@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Downtime (Was: uptime limits)

Tim Erlin <tperlin@yahoo.com> types:
> Wouldn't a more meaningful measure be downtime? Has
> anyone put together info on how much downtime, as a
> percentage, is required for regular
> upgrades/maintanence for different OSes. That would
> allow one to distinguish between downtime that's
> expected and downtime that isn't (e.g. crashes).
>
> I would think that would be an important distinction.

Scheduled downtime isn't that big a deal - it should be part of the
plan. You can warn users, provide alternatives, and such like. It is
important in the planning stages, because having lots of it raises the
cost of the system.

Unscheduled downtime is the one that's really interesting, because
it's the one that pisses users off, and otherwise results in
unexpected expenses. I've been at organizations that tracked all that,
but it's been long enough ago (~BSD 4.2) that the information isn't
really relevant. They also tracked load average and disk usage, so
they intelligently budget more processors and disks. Both of these
seem to be a rarity in the networked shops I've been at since.

	<mike