Date:      Tue, 6 Oct 1998 23:08:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Heather Stern <star@strawberry.adc.rsv.ricoh.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        jimd@mail.starshine.org
Subject:   tar|rsh/tar also segfaults!

  Okay, it's me again.

  We tried the tar cvf - . | rsh other "( cd / && tar xpf - )"
  variation and it segfaults too.

  What's the deal here?  This is a FreeBSD 2.2.6, running from
  the CD's "fixit" shell.

  Finally we just extracted the drive from the system and
  jumpered it for use in the target system.  However, I shouldn't
  have to do that just to xfer files across a network pipe!  I
  do this under Linux all the time (and we know that BSD's TCP
  stack and networking tools are *supposed* to be better than
  *theirs*).

  So, I'm really curious what might be the problem.  We also tried
  to use a PicoBSD "networking" boot diskette.  That doesn't work
  since it apparently doesn't have a full version of cpio or tar
  --- and the on that's installed on the affected system's root
  fs is *not* statically linked.

  I was this close " to getting out a Tom's Root/Boot (rtbt) and
  trying it's UFS (readonly) support. (But I think I would've had to
  build a kernel for that and it's late).

--
Jim Dennis,
Proprietor, Starshine Technical Services