Date:      Tue, 6 Jul 1999 17:32:06 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Trenton Schulz <twschulz@gloria.cord.edu>
To:        Marc van Woerkom <van.woerkom@netcologne.de>
Cc:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to actually link with GLX library?

On Wed, 7 Jul 1999, Marc van Woerkom wrote:

> > See http://www.freebsdzine.org/199907/features/tnt.html - there's a
> > complete step-by-step guide on using the Riva TNT with GLX.  I have
> > some familiarity with the URL. :)
>
> I am still using a plain RIVA 128 Diamond V330 card with my K6/300 (no AGP)
> system.
>
> 1. Your article mentions RIVA TNT/TNT2 only, but I see RIVA 128/128ZX
>    patches too on the nvidia site

The patches work great on a Riva 128 PCI that I have.  I'm sure they'd work
just as well on a 128zx.  The only problem you will run into is the amount
of memory on the card.   The glx faq at nvidia gives more info.

> 2. Does it make sense to use some cheapo TNT or TNT2 card in my system
>    or should I wait for the next big hardware update (K7 + TNT2 successor..)
>    somewhere end of this year?

I always think it's a waiting game for choosing  to buy hardware.  I'd say
it's really up to you and how important graphic performance is for what
you're doing.  At the moment, even with its restrictions, the Riva128 works
well for me though a TNT2 Ultra would probably really scream.

--
Trenton Schulz
twschulz@cord.edu