Date:      Sun, 6 Jun 1999 00:03:19 +0400 (MSD)
From:      Vlad Skvortsov <vlad@high.net.ru>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu (Doug White)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: script-like utility wanted

>> 	Script is very convinient tool, but there's a problem if I use
>> 	backspace characters and the like. If I start "script SOMEWHERE" and
>> 	insert file SOMEWHERE to, for example, vi, the picture is not so
>> 	pretty:
>
>This is normal.  Script also records any control characters.  If you have
>long commands for `script'ing, use a shell script to avoid typos.
	Scripting itself is not a problem :-) I use script mainly for
	inserting "logs" of my shell sessions to mails. So control
	characters in mail messages ARE the problem.

>> Script started on Fri Jun  4 17:22:59 1999
>> [vlad@hq] ~ > this is =1B[15`=1B[Kecho see those ? eh ?=08=1B[K=08=08=1B=
[K=08=1B[K=08
>> see those _ z
>> [vlad@hq] ~ > ^D=08=08
>> Script done on Fri Jun  4 17:23:28 1999
>>=20
>> 	Is there a filter that would help it ?
>
>You can substitute them out with an approrpriate regexp.
	Well, I can substitute control characters but I cannot pretend that
	those characters work. I mean that backspace should delete previous
	character and ^u should delete the whole line.=20

	Is there any system tool that allows such substitutions ? If not, I
	think, I'll patch script some way ...

--=20
Vlad Skvortsov, vss@ulstu.ru