Date:      Tue, 21 Sep 2010 21:09:55 +1000 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>
Cc:        Daniel Bilik <daniel.bilik@neosystem.cz>, freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: acpi0: Could not initialise SystemMemory handler: AE_NOT_EXIST

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010, Andriy Gapon wrote:
 > on 21/09/2010 11:41 Ian Smith said the following:
 > > I don't know anything about that, but having looked over our RTC code
 > > lately re another issue, I also wonder about the significance of this:
 > >
 > >> RTC BIOS diagnostic error 96<clock_battery,memory_size,invalid_time>
 >
 > This check and message should be abolished altogether, I thought that mav was
 > going to do that.

Oh, ok.  The MC146818 doesn't even have a register E, and we check
register D for RTCSD_PWR on a read anyway, so 0x0e is just RAM, and
finding any bits set there makes atrtc_setup_clock fail - as it did!

 > As Daniel correctly said, this has nothing to do with acpi attach failing and
 > the system would be useless without it.
 >
 > Perhaps, the above message is even a result of acpi failure, but that's irrelevant.

I doubt the former, but the latter is true :)  I was reading isa/atrtc.c
to a) try working out how to do the wakeup-on-timer thing and b) tracing
ct_to_ts and ts_to_ct messages re another problem - both other topics.

sorry, Ian