Date:      Thu, 25 Apr 1996 20:49:27 -0400
From:      Ben Wern <bwern@jaxnet.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Telnet Misconfigured?

Greetings.

I'm having trouble, once again, getting telnet to function. I had this
problem once before, but lost the installation before I documented what I
had done to solve it. (Duh!)

What is happening, is telnets into this machine are connecting, but are not
alowing me to login. Usually, this is manifest by two identification lines,
followed by two login: prompts. However, before you can attempt to login, it
disconnects. Occasionally, it tells me that login_tty is denied.

The termcap and the gettytab files are as they came installed from the 2.1R
disc. The ttys file reads:

ttyp0   "usr/libexec/getty std.9600"    vt50    on      insecure

for the first 5 ttyp's. I have tried with the std.19200 and 38400 settings,
as well as the vt100 and ansi.

Any thoughts? I promise to document it this time. :)

Also, if anyone has any information about setting up ppp to connect and
route to a ISP on demand of other users on the local TCP/IP network, I'd
love to get references to books, etc. :)

Thanks a ton,

Ben

 bwern@jaxnet.com or bwern@unf.edu
    Try New and Improved Jello: V 2.0
"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think
   I have ended up where I intended to be."