Date:      Fri, 27 Jul 2001 08:00:59 -0500
From:      Jim Bryant <kc5vdj@yahoo.com>
To:        tlambert2@mindspring.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Downloads appear broked...but work...keep hitting "reload"...

Terry Lambert wrote:

> Jim Bryant wrote:
> > Everybody and their dog must be downloading this.  If you keep
> > getting the java.lang.OutOfMemoryError, just keep hitting
> > "reload"...  I was just about to give up when it finally worked for me.
>
> Gee, garbage collection is special.  I'm going to run right
> out and use Java in my next embedded system!
>
> -- Terry

Yeah, I couldn't understand why it wasn't just a HTTP or FTP download like on the community source page.  Hell, I didn't even have
to enter my username and password.  Is Sun slacking or something?  Note that the other stuff was via HTTP download, on the same
page.

On the other hand, Java has it's uses...  Coulda been MIX for all I'm concerned.  Ideally, Java can run on near anything with no
source or object code modifications.  MIX, Java, whatever...  The point is that it's a universal language, if there ever was such a
beast.  But then again, ever read the 100% pure manual?  Kinda hard to do anything REALLY serious in 100% pure Java.

IMHO, universal appeal was lost when Java gained arbitrary filesystem access.  They could have saved it from that loss of
practicality by implementing some sort of canned scratchpad storage, that would allow a storage object, yet without arbitrary
filesystem access without explicit grants [CDC Cyber NOS/BE comes to mind as an ideal on this, and would be easily implemented].
The arbitrary filesystem access is the real killer when it comes to Java.  To me, GC is a secondary issue.

I'm not even going to go into the issues of the ability to run external system binaries from within Java.  Count that as yet another
primary issue.

All this is a moot point anyhow...  We is stuck with it.

PicoBSD works well for embedded systems tho, I've done that :^)  CompactFlash and a Simm...  Look Ma!  No spinning wheels!

jim
--
ET has one helluva sense of humor!
He's always anal-probing right-wing schizos!