Date:      Thu, 29 Jan 1998 17:59:13 -0800
From:      Alan Batie <batie@aahz.jf.intel.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   floppy media change detection

--X1bOJ3K7DJ5YkBrT

Dating myself horribly, I seem to remember the days of 360K floppies
where in the dos world, you'd do yourself in bigtime by swapping floppies
and the directory would be cached and you'd end up writing the wrong
one back out.  It seems like a few of the later 360's and then the 1.2's
and 1.44's fixed this with a media change signal of some sort (maybe it
was the transition from 180K to 360K?).  Am I hallucinating?  I don't
remember how you told dos you wanted to change the floppy certainly, so
it's possible...  A quick scan through the fd controller doesn't indicate
any such thing, and it would be really handy for an application I'm
working on...  Am I out of luck?  Thanks...

--
Alan Batie                     ------        What goes up, must come down.
batie@aahz.jf.intel.com        \    /        Ask any system administrator.

--X1bOJ3K7DJ5YkBrT