Date:      Fri, 15 Nov 1996 20:12:33 -0800
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        dgy@rtd.com
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CVS Attic...

In article <199611160304.UAA07230@seagull.rtd.com> dgy@rtd.com writes:
> Greetings!
>    It's my understanding that a "cvs remove <file>" should put
> <file> into the Attic subdirectory in the repository.  Are there
> conditions when this is *not* true?  (i.e. *my* removes aren't
> going to the Attic).

Remember, the file in the CVS repository doesn't get changed until
you do a "cvs commit" too.  I suspect that is the cause of what
you're (not) seeing.

Also (I think this is right):  Whether a file in the repository is
in the Attic or not depends on the state of the head revision on
the main (or default) branch.  If you are working in another branch
and do a remove, the file won't go into the Attic.  In other words,
a file can be "live" on some branches and "dead" on others.  Attic
residency is determined only by the state of the latest version on
the main (or default) branch.

John