Date:      Wed, 2 Feb 2000 11:37:47 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Duke Normandin <01031149@3web.net>
Cc:        Alejandro Ramirez <ales@megared.net.mx>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD = Unix ???

On Tuesday,  1 February 2000 at 17:41:00 -0700, Duke Normandin wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 01, 2000 12:50 PM Alejandro Ramirez <ales@megared.net.mx> wrote:
>> On  Tuesday, February 01, 2000 1:36 PM, J McKitrick <jcm@freebsd-uk.eu.org> wrote:
>>> I just read Greg's article on BSD advocacy.  Just a question: Linux is
>>> actually a Unix clone.  Can BSD be called Unix?  Or are we just Unix
>>> compatible, or Unix-based?
>>
>>    Unix its a trademark, and the owner righ now I think its Santa Cruz
>> Operation, and all the systems that wants to be called unix, have to pay for
>> the use of the name.
>
> Putting aside politics, copyrights etc., can BSD rightly be called
> Unix? So my question then begs another: What are the ``core''
> characteristics identifying an OS as Unix? How does BSD deviate from
> these?

This is very much a matter of definition.  Recall that BSD one *was*
called BSD UNIX, which I think is a very good reason to believe that
the only reasons are because of copyright.  Those were the reasons
given in the "cease and desist" notices from USL, anyway.  On the
other hand, things like the Single UNIX Specification and UNIX 95%
contain requirements which (IIRC) BSD doesn't fulfil.

Greg