Date:      Wed, 4 Mar 1998 16:02:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      Brian Handy <handy@sag.space.lockheed.com>
To:        John Kelly <jak@cetlink.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Donations.

>>Besides, arguing this point anymore appears to be mute, as Jordan has
>>already expressed his views.
>
>Why, is Jordan the king of FreeBSD?

Because he's the guy running the VISA card machine?

>>Also, I dont recall voting for any core team members (elected officials).
>
>I was speaking to the fact that the disposition, use, and development
>of freed software cannot be controlled exclusively by an individual or
>group, not even by the core team.

While this isn't always the case, I don't see many people in violent
disagreement with him.  (And...I have seen this.  Let's all go relive the
Tcl wars, shall we. :-)  The whole point of this 'donation' thing (or so I
thought) was some avenue to give back to the project.  I've done most of
my thesis work from a FreeBSD platform, so I fired off a check, and if
Jordan wants to spend that on pizza for the core team, hey, that's great.
If I *absolutely* needed NFS fixed, I'd pony up more than I just did and
probably fire it off to whoever the NFS guy is.  (My apologies to you, NFS
guy. I've forgotten who you are.  :-)  But this childish crap about "I'm
only donating if you do XXX with my money" is dumb.  Do you think Sally
Struthers cares what you want her to do with your monthly donation?  I
don't think so!

Brian "I'm out of the house now, but still a mite cagey" Handy