Date:      Sun, 9 May 2010 11:13:26 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        Bruce Cran <bruce@cran.org.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: magic cmd[s]??

On Sun, May 09, 2010 at 10:47:31AM +0100, Bruce Cran wrote:
> On Sunday 09 May 2010 03:54:43 Gary Kline wrote:
> > for some reason, i am having trouble burning 80-release.  i did
> > get the oc-bsd dvd d/loaded And burned ... and my '05 thinkpad
> > recognized the dvd and installed.  i have failed several times to
> > d/l the 8.0-R torrent.  the checksums are valid.  but usinng k3b
> > only 50% of the task is burned.  is there some magic command or
> > procedure that i'm missing in burning the iso file from my
> > torrent dir to the dvd?
> >
> > also, how do i erase the several dvd discs that i would like to
> > reuse?  there are dvd-rw.
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/creating-dvds.html has a good
> explanation of how to write and erase DVDs.

	Gaaaak. more than i needed to know!  it isn't 'erase'; rather
	'blank'; moreover, it seems that i can just overwrite the
	dvd+rw.

	my thinkpad optical device =is=, surprisingly, good.  my old
	5.3 install CD works, so if i torrent either the boot or the
	8.0-'all' data, i should have something that boots and also
	has all of 8.0-R. [[anybody know if i'm right/wrong/just-hoping?]]

	i found the cvsup stuff on pc-bsd, and it looks very much
	like my 7.3 files and directories here.  has anybody tried to
	install 8.0-release FreeBSD on top of pc-bsd?  [in other
	words: will it work, or am i likely to see smoke coming from
	my boat-anchor?]

--
 Gary Kline  kline@thought.org  http://www.thought.org  Public Service Unix
    The 7.83a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php