Date:      Tue, 3 Jul 2001 15:58:11 Singapore
From:      Sudirman Bin Hassan <s9810048@mmu.edu.my>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Ipfw+Squid+Caching Nameserver+PPP dialup on demand

Hi,

I'm new to bsd but have about 2 years experience with Linux.
I've currently try to shift my college firewall+gateway to use
FreeBSD intead of Linux since I find that under certain
situation, Linux crawl.

Thus there where I come. I've succesfully enable the PPP dial on
demand after reading the PPP primer book.. thanks to great doc.
Everybody on LAN can connect to Internet. Now I want to set up
firewall and enable transparent proxy by using Squid as well as
caching nameserver.

I've been following this mailing list quite a while and somebody
said that i should use fwd instead of divert for trans.proxy.
Can anybody give some example on the exact instruction.
I want to force all connection to Internet from my LAN via
squid. Squid is on port 3128. My internal NIC is ed0. where it
should appear on my firewall rule.. before or after natd?

What setting should I do for caching name server. Which bind is
better? 8 or 9 to be use?

We are using dial up connection thus it would be nice if the
connection is disconnect whenever there is nobody going to the
Internet. How can I do this?

-dman

This message was sent using MMU Webmail (Cyberjaya) - http://webmail.mmu.edu.my