Date:      Sun, 31 Mar 2002 16:42:59 +0200
From:      Wouter Vijvers <woutje@chello.nl>
To:        "Brian T.Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A bunch of questions (long)

Hi Brian,
Thanks for your reply.

> In your mail you used -- at the start of lines to separate things.  This is a
> problem since it's the conventional separator for a signature, and some
> mailers (read: my mail) are "clever" enough to parse on that . . .

I'm sorry about that. Never crossed my mind.

> - No, it's not normaly for X to dump core every time you reboot.  You are
> running kdm, yes?  You do you KDE?  It almost looks like you are running kdm
> but then never running KDE under it and this is confusing it somehow.  I
> don't run kdm or xdm myself; I boot up in console mode and use startx after
> I'm logged in, so I don't think I'm the one to help you here.

Yes, I'm running kdm. And from kdm I always start KDE without problems.
kdm is started from /etc/ttys in the usual way:

ttyv8   "/usr/local/bin/kdm -nodaemon"  xterm   on secure

I did nothing to the files in /usr/local/share/config/kdm. It just
worked the first time I tried. I couldn't find info on this core-dump on
XFree86.

> - Building: are you really that short on disk space?  /usr/src is "only"
> 1/3G, and disks are cheap these days.  (Well, 300M seems small to me, since
> it's less than 1% of my disk space, but maybe I'm spoiled.)

Yes. :-| I only had reserved 2 GB of my 20 GB disk for FreeBSD and
accepted the default 512MB swap (256MB RAM), so it's pretty tight. And
I'm a pour student, so buying a new one isn't an option for me now.

> and /usr/include is all you should need for compiling any program unless it's
> actually part of the kernel or a kernel module, which plugger should most
> certainly not be.

Ok, thanks. I'll do what Salvo suggested: cvsup to a recent -STABLE.
BTW, also thanks to Salvo for your helpful msg. My current
/usr/include/g++ is from Sept 18, so Salvo's guess was right.

Regards,
Wouter