Date:      Fri, 03 Jul 1998 22:42:50 +0200
From:      Stefan Eggers <seggers@semyam.dinoco.de>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, seggers@semyam.dinoco.de
Subject:   Re: trace/KTRACE

> I would like to find out where an application 'hangs' for
> some overly long time (possibly a network/socket call or something)

> The problem using the kernel option KTRACE would be
> that I cannot watch the application as it performs, instead I can
> only trace 'a posteriori'.

So you'd like to have the ktrace output right when the call gets done
instead of seeing the whole log after the show ended?  How about using
option -l of kdump then?

It works in 2.2-stable - just tried it with xcalc.  I saw the system
calls when they were done instead of having to go through the log
afterwards.

If you want to avoid extremly large files with the ktrace output you
might redirect it to /dev/stdout, pipe that into kdump and tell kdump
to read from /dev/stdin.  I didn't test it and it might fail but is
worth a try.

Stefan.
--
Stefan Eggers                 Lu4 yao2 zhi1 ma3 li4,
Max-Slevogt-Str. 1            ri4 jiu3 jian4 ren2 xin1.