Date:      Sun, 9 Jul 2000 21:07:31 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Paul Herman <pherman@frenchfries.net>
To:        "David J. Kanter" <djkanter@northwestern.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Softupdates question

On Sun, 9 Jul 2000, David J. Kanter wrote:

> I'm upgrading to 4.0 and the softupdates option looks particularly
> attractive. I'd like to use it because of power outages.
>
> My question is: Which filesystem(s) should softupdate be applied
> to? All of them? Or, are some better than others? What about the
> root filesystem?

This is really just a question of taste.  I think softupdates are
stable enough to use for production filesystems.

I have my / filesystem mounted 'sync' (paranoid, not much IO anyway)
and the rest with softupdates.  I have been very happy with it.

> If so, is it possible to umount all filesystems and run the tunefs
> program?

Yep.  Best done in single-user. :)  In order to tunefs the root
filesystem, it should be read-only mounted.

-Paul.