Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 18:52:08 +0100 (CET)
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Roudier?= <groudier@club-internet.fr>
To:        Olivier Nicole <on@cs.ait.ac.th>
Cc:        gemorga2@vt.edu, mjacob@feral.com, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI speed with SLR100 tape drive

On Mon, 12 Mar 2001, Olivier Nicole wrote:

> >Hmm, according to the Tandberg website, the SLR100 supports up to=20
> >Ultra2-Wide SCSI which from what I understand, the Ultra2 narrow bus=20
>=20
> OK, my mistake. I thought I read somewhere it supported Ultra 160.
>=20
> But anyway, why Symbios bios (at PC boot) says 80MB/s while FreeBSD
> only says 40MB/s?

FreeBSD says if the BUS is operating in LVD mode or in SE (single
ended) mode but the Symbios BIOS doesn't.

Could you please, post _all_ the messages printed out by the sym driver?
Thanks.

This information is very important since if the BUS is operating in SE
mode, then 40 MB/s is the expected maximum throughput for Wide 16 SCSI
devices.

> >From other discussions, I understand that acheiving a good speed on
> the SCSI interface is critical to keep the drive streaming (transfer
> to the tape is about 40 Mbit/s).

Some tape drives require hudge data chunks in order to keep streaming.
May-be 40 MB/s burst is already enough to feed the tape fast enough to
allow it to stream data.

  G=E9rard.=20