Date:      Tue, 18 Dec 2001 09:18:16 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jim Sander <jim@federation.addy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: What if registrar folds?

> >  what happens if the registrar goes bankrupt?

   The absolute truth I think is that nobody knows for sure right now.
(witness the recent issues resulting in proposal of a fee escrow system)
But we can guess what might happen- *if* the process were rational...

   Short-term I imagine that domains controlled by that registrar would
continue in a steady-state until such time as the pieces could be put back
together. The only way I can see that causing problems is if you have a
domain that goes "On Hold" just before the registrar dies- you'd be out of
commission for non-payment, but there'd be nobody to pay. (moral of the
story, make sure you keep your account current with your registrar)

   Long-term I think it's likely that before any registrar goes bankrupt
one of their competitors will absorb them- and thus their customers. I
highly doubt any domains would be sold out from under anyone, and suspect
that because of the uniform domain name policy that can't legally happen.
(which is not to guaranty it won't)

   Remember that it's not terribly difficult to do a registrar-transfer,
and unless you're bumping up against the 10-year limit you won't lose any
time that you pay for. So, bottom line is that the risk is probably low.

> networksolutions' web controls

   Contrary to what someone else said, for day-to-day registration
activities I don't think it matters much. As far as I know, only the
odd-ball registrars (for a few ccTLDs) make you involve a human at any
stage of the normal domain life-cycle. The problem (ignoring price) I see
with networksolutions is that their service, from an ISP perspective
especially, is "somewhat lacking."

   That said, please, let's try to avoid a flame-war about
networksolutions, or the "I use <x> and they're good" types of cluttery
discussions. There are plenty of them in the archive already.

-=Jim=-