Date:      Sat, 23 Jun 2001 18:53:00 -0700
From:      Joe Kelsey <joe@zircon.seattle.wa.us>
To:        "Stable" <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Staying *really stable* in FreeBSD

Michael Nottebrock writes:
> [...]

I personally have no problem tracking either current or stable.  The
first time I installed FreeBSd, I accidentally cvsup'd to current, but
once I realized my mistake, I basically did not mind.  I can keep up
with the problems listed on the mailing list and have done quite a bit
of source-level work on various flavors of UNIX, so it was no big deal.
If someone has a good grasp of make and debugging, recompiling from
source is no big deal.

 > Almost there already. Take a look at the last SA (SA-01:40.fts), it
 > features an (experimental) binary security fix, which comes in the form of
 > a package.

I think we need to change the handbook to indicate the pitfalls inherent
in attempting to track stable or current via cvsup or other source
updating.  Even tracking RELEASE_X_Y is problematic since it involves
recompiling from source, which is, of course the only way to customize
your kernel.  Perhaps GENERIC needs to be changed to use kld so that
everyone gets into the habit of using modules instead of creating a
custom config file and recompiling the kernel.  With the anectdotal
evidence of the vast number of people who actually run GENERIC kernels,
perhaps this is another way to allow relatively easier customization
without major source recompiles.

I really like being able to recompile from source, but it is definitely
not for everyone.  In order to get to a wider user base, we need more
and better binary distributions and updates, especially binary security
updates.

Also, if we discourage new users from using the source recompile route,
we may cut down on the number of messages complaining of getting -RC or
-BETA when they wanted -STABLE!

/Joe